Jul 28, 2009

Lines & Shapes; Nina Saunders

I've just been looking at the Lines & Shapes website, they describe themselves as an independent art and design collective.
I'm especially interested to see a picture in the volume one of something ressembling the textile balls I've been working on recently. I'll search for the artist who made it. There is a list of six. Will be very interesting to read up about that artist's project.

Another artist who's textile work I love is Nina Saunders.
This is a picture of her amazing "running sofa".

Excerpt from Frieze magazine:
"Nina Saunders’ best-known work is fashioned from discarded or second-hand armchairs, rendered dramatically dysfunctional by the addition of extra arms or huge spherical tumours. Some of them look like they are melting. Saunders has produced other striking pieces of ‘art upholstery’: panels for the windows of Jesus College, Cambridge, and a ten-foot diameter sphere. The pleated fake-leather vinyl she employs recalls Chesterfield sofas, World of Leather suites and tacky home mini-bars. She may have stripped domestic objects and materials of their comfort, but she hasn’t rendered them humourless. At her exhibition in the Saatchi Gallery a few years ago the effect of finding yourself surrounded by them was like being caught up amid a group of seriously drunk revellers. "


I didn't know about her work until I met her at the Spice Festival in Hackney, East London, when she bought one of my recycled-shirt-skirts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails